Lean, Kaizen and 5S are not just for manufacturers
5S can create some hard divides between those who love and appreciate the peace and calm that order bring and those who, while not necessarily “loving” chaos and disorder, still feel more at home amidst piles of paper, missing tools such as staplers and rulers, etc.
The following video is an example of how many employees might feel when the corporate leadership decides that everyone must accept the new business philosophy of the day for their workplace – 5S.
Kyocera has dictated that their employees MUST clean up their act and implement the new 5S standards within their cubicle space. It’s a love-hate relationship, as you will see in the video:
Cluttered Cubicles Go Lean With 5S Rules
See how employees at Kyocera’s North American headquarters in San Diego declutter their cubicles by following a workplace organization practice known as 5S. WSJ’s Julie Jargon reports. (Oct. 26)
Kaizen Guide: Better your business with continuous improvement
To be successful, you can’t make an improvement once and forget about it. Effective lean businesses use kaizen, which means “continuous improvement”. In kaizen, everyone looks for ways to improve processes on a daily basis. This Kaizen Guide explains the kaizen mindset, basic kaizen concepts including the PDCA cycle, and real-world examples.
What do you think? How would YOU handle the dictates at work to suddenly bring order into the chaos of your own cubicle?
Would you like it? Would you comply? Or would you still persist with old, perhaps unproductive habits as were depicted int he video? Let us know below by writing down and sending us your thoughts.
- Incorporate the 5S Steps into the Business
- Tools for Each S in 5S
- Gemba Kaizen
- How LEAN and 5S Can Improve the Productivity of Your Business
- Capitalize On The Benefits Of Lean Manufacturing
- 5S: Commit to the Process
- What are 5S Red Tags?
- 5S Lean Training– creativesafetysupply.com
- 5S – For Life & For Business– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Bring 5S Home– 5snews.com
- Why Organize Tools?– blog.toolfoamsupply.com
- Kaizen Lean Supplies Help Support Your Efforts In The Workplace– kaizen-news.com
- Using Floor Tape to Assist With Your 5S Project– aislemarking.com
- Sign Printers To Print All Your Labels– industriallabelprinters.net